Open Discussion Group

F Frame Front Rack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Dyer

F Frame front racks are like gold dust, but I managed to get one from Ebay, by paying almost as much as a whole bike in need of TLC would have cost. However it came without the fixing bolts, and I discovered that the two bolts that came with an earlier front rack I acquired a year ago where the wrong diameter. Can anybody tell me what the correct diameter and thread gauge is for the two front rack fixing bolts on 1960s F Frames? Or better still where I can buy them, preferably in stainless steel.

david james
    Participant

probably ebay for the bolts if you can find out the size/thread etc or a yacht chandler

I have F-Frames with front racks, but I don’t fit them. They make my Moultons just too long to go in the back of my Golf estate.
    Interestingly, the ‘Mk. 1 1/2’ de Luxe, an almost unused machine, came with an unused front rack, in untouched condition, which would not fit without gentle bending of the lower legs.
    And a query. Why did the Mk.3 have no fittings for a front rack?

CLIVE FENNER
    Participant

According to my engineer neighbour the thread is 1/4 inch bsf. The overall length of the front bolt is 30mm, the through bolt is 95mm overall length. I did try some 6mm studding, available from most DIY stores, & it seemed to fit the front thread o.k. I hope this is of some help. I have got a front rack for sale on eBay now, along with other f frame parts, more to come as l fight my way towards the back of the garage.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.