Open Discussion Group

I want to buy a new TSR27

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Loris Cronin
    Participant

Can someone help me out. Can someone tell me where the TSR 27 is made? Is it Bradford on Avon or by Pashley under licence?
    Where is the best place to buy a new one from. I can’t seem to get any sort of discount except Evans Cycles. They will discount the bike by £125 if you trade in another bike. At the meeting in April at the hall I was chatting to one of the technicians and he was saying that they use silver to braze the bikes is this the case with the TSR? I would be grateful for any help that other members can give me.

Dave Minter

The TSR is made in Stratford and is not brazed with silver.

Loris Cronin
    Participant

Thanks Dave for that information. I thought so.

David Sellars
    Participant

There are a few TSRs on ebay at the moment. Some in “almost new” condition. Could be a good option. There seems to be one person who is selling two TSR 30 Tour bikes which I believe have some higher end components compared to a standard TSR 27. There is also a TSR 27 with many extras (bags etc.) and a TSR 30. All have a “buy it now” option with prices ranging from £1,100 to £1,500.

If I were in the market for a TSR ebay would be my first port of call.

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

I agree that Ebay is a good place to buy; good used TSRs are now coming onto the market.
    Also this site is worth monitoring. I bought a TSR advertised here.
    I would inspect and have a trial ride before bidding if possible.
    If you want to buy new there is a list of dealers on the Moulton Bicycle Company website.
    Alex

Loris Cronin
    Participant

Thanks for all your help. I will check these out on Ebay

david james
    Participant

the price new ,circa £1600 seems hellishly expensive, makes a brompton look cheap!

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

When you consider the workmanship involved in making the TSR frame and the fact that it is make in the UK the price is not unreasonable IMO.

mark hancock
    Participant

I have a tsr30 tour which I bought from fudges of Epsom very nice machine for the price,i have done a review of this bike on you tube check it out,just tap in moulton tsr30 should come up.

david james
    Participant

i’d have to disagree there, all the tubes will be machine cut/profiled there will be a jig for fixing the tubes for welding (assuming it’s not made by robots) a good welder could weld it in minutes (brazed?), the gear parts, wheels, brakes etc bought in bulk from shimano (or similar) maybe even with tyres fixed, probably £500 clear profit for the dealer, bromptons have increased in price by about £300 in last few years, raw materials and labour costs have not increased by anything like that amount

mark hancock
    Participant

tsr’s in this country have campagnolo gears,only problem ive had with mine has been the carbon seat post and brooks saddle,the seatpost clamp is not strong enough and kept moving so changed from an American Thompson double bolted post with a union jack design,the saddle was a brooks swift which was to short for me so changed for a brooks professional,another part of the tsr that I believe is british is the stronglight crankset,im not sure about the stem but seems to be a moulton design,so a lot of the bike is british,frame,saddle,cranks,and stem,wheels are Italian,tyres are german,gears are Italian,no Japanese parts,so its a very European bike.

mark hancock
    Participant

on the frame it does not look welded to me,im sure its brazed.just less brazing points than a more expensive moulton,think the design is great but cold be lighter,they should look at making a super tsr in Reynolds 631,with two front chainrings of 60 teeth and 42 teeth,and a stiffer front suspension,for riders who want a faster ,lighter moulton,im sure theres a market for a bike like that around 2,500 pounds.

david james
    Participant

imho doesn’t matter if the components are european or japanese they’re not british, are european better than japanese? make your own opinion.i think it’s similar with the landrover evoque you pay a ten grand premium for the name

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

The price of my TSR was roughly the same as my conventional touring bike a Hewitt Cheviot SE.
    The Hewitt is an excellent bike made from 725 Chrome-Moly which is “better” than the 525 of the TSR, but the Hewitt frame is made in Taiwan whereas the TSR frame is made in England, and the amount of workmanship involved in building the conventional Hewitt frame must be considerably less than that of the TSR space frame.
    That’s why I think the TSR is good value, assuming you want one and have the cash.
    Alex

david james
    Participant

i’d certainly like one but still think they’re too expensive.i think a lot of the money goes in dealer’s profit

Dave Minter

No greater profit margin than any other bicycle.

Hi Dave! Just what is the the dealer profit margin on Moulton bicycles? Or is the figure a ‘trade secret’*?! But your previous reply seems to indicate that you are ‘in the know’! *Looking at the company website it looks like the sale prices of Moulton bicycles is pretty secret too!

Dave Minter

When I worked in the trade (not a Moulton dealer), profit margins on bikes ranged from 25% to 45% with the margin tending to reduce as the individual price increased. Current average bike profit margin is apparently 36%.

Chris Wright
    Participant

I bought my bike from Avon Valley Cyclery in Bath – long-time Moulton stockist, and they offer a 10% discount on any order over £1,000 (having looked on VoucherCloud this looks to be an on-going offer, rather than time-limited). I bought a TSR9 a couple of years ago with insurance money from a stolen APB, and the discount offset the excess amount on my policy!

Mike
    Participant

A TSR27 just sold this weekend on ebay. Mint condition with extras ridden 20 miles etc etc. £1000.

They come and go regularly if you want to save some money be patient, and make a massive saving. When you decide to move it on, so long as its not worn out, you can get all or most of your money back. What’s not to like?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.