Open Discussion Group

MIDI Moulton

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KevDay

I have recently bought a 3 Speed MIDI with 14 inch wheels without front suspension. Could any one help with giving me, an approximate age. Is the MIDI the same as a Mini ? And where can I find a replacement rubber shock doughnut which is behind the A Frame.
    Thank you

david james
    Participant

i think the midi’s came in the early seventies, the mini had front suspension , which the midi hasn’t, you should be able to get a reasonable idea of date from the rear gearhub stamping it might say 72 or similar

KevDay

Thank you David

Any idea where I may get the suspension Doughnut from ?

Regards. Kevin

david james
    Participant

has it just come unstuck from the steel bracket or has the rubber deteriorated? if it’s the former there are types of glue that have been mentioned before (can’t remember the name) that you can use to glue it back.you could try moulton preservation they may have one, not sure if similar/same as an f-frame/mini.i have some f-frames that are 50 years old and the rubber seems fine

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

The following had front suspension: Mini M7; Mini Automatic M8; Mini Stowaway M9; Super 4 M1; Mini Deluxe; Minx.
    The following did not have front suspension: Mini; Midi.
    The Midi was made from 1971 to 1974.
    Best
    Alex

david james
    Participant

see page 6 of this forum under “swinging rear suspension” by clive fenner it explains in some detail how to rejuvinate the rear suspension block

KevDay

Alexandra and David

Thank you so much for your contribution

Regards. Kevin

Pandora

Of the bicycles WITHOUT front suspension, which models had the problem of frame cracking as forecast by Alex Moulton but ignored by Raleigh

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

Hi Pandora
    I think the answer is that all of them without front suspension potentially had this problem.
    The reinforcing bracket was made available by Raleigh for the “Moulton Mini and Midi” and the instructions stated that it was not to be fitted to a Moulton bicycle with front suspension.
    Alex

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.