Open Discussion Group

Mk1 white plastic chain guard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marc
    Participant

I just bought a Mk1 Standard which appears to have everything with exception of the white chain guard bit that attaches to the crankset. Where would I source one of these? By the way, I live in Sydney, Australia.

Keith Hales
    Participant

They turn up at the jumble sale at the September BoA meeting, and very occasionally on ebay UK.

Marc
    Participant

Never seen one on Ebay, but if something does come up please let me know. In case someone does come across something before me, my email is marc@hwy.com.au
    I am restoring a 1966 Mk1 Standard. You can follow it’s progress at: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87196&sid=24c316034293e8289c82467cba89182b

CLIVE FENNER
    Participant

Two chain guards on e bay now (U.K.)

Paul Bradley

Hi guys, any tips for removing a chainguard. I’ve been trying to get one off a bike i’m restoring and it’s not as easy as I thought it would be. Am I missing something?

Ian
    Participant

Paul, the chainguard has 5 tabs that sit inside the sprocket. They can be carefully pried off (I use a broad flat screwdriver) one at a time and the ring lifted off.

The changuard can seem very hard and if you have the cranks off just dunk the lot in some hot water and wait for a bit, the chainguard will soften up and is much easier to remove.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.