Open Discussion Group

New Dynavector Moulton?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gaida
    Participant

Does anybody have some information about the bike that apparently was presented recently in Japan?

https://www.facebook.com/moulton.ocj/photos/pcb.402738909926318/402738869926322/?type=1

Thomas Gaida
    Participant

Hi! What kind of front fork suspension is that?!

AND what are those additional frame ‘cross’ supports??!

Keith Hales
    Participant

Looks like a simplified construction. The front suspension is by external coil springs in tension. Probably much cheaper to make (and non-separable), but looks atrocious, I can’t imagine AM coming out with something so inelegant.

Thomas Gaida
    Participant

Speedsix from the German Moulton forum says that the “cross supports” are made from Kevlar and designed to stabilize the frame against torsion forces. He suggests to call it the “biplane”.

After all, Dynavector also makes model airplanes 🙂

Dynavector is a Japanese importer of Moulton bikes for many years but it seems they have become involved with development. So far, I have known Dynavector only as a manufacturer of high end turntable pickup systems.

Thomas Gaida
    Participant

Keith, I thought that the external coil springs were added to the spring in the handlebar post, for an even smoother ride. But you are right. This foto shows that there is no such connection:

http://www.moulton-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/338-11430125-10205656743411496-6383063562031087702-n-jpg/

Mike
    Participant

Front fork looks like a home built job.

Not very impressive except for those that built it I guess.

Keith Hales
    Participant

Not necessarily a Dynavector development. The Japan Moulton Owners Club hold their summit meeting and gathering at the beginning of June, usually attended by Moulton, and new announcments made there.

Ian
    Participant

I presumed the ‘spars’ were under tension but on closer inspection think they might work under compression?

Looks somewhat inelegant whatever.

Hi! I think inelegant is being rather kind. The whole thing looks quite ‘Heath Robinson’ compared to to the usual spaceframe set-up. Also it looks like mounting and dismounting will be less convenient, unless you use the ‘forbidden’ leg-over method that is!

Thomas Gaida
    Participant

Sometimes simplification means less weight. Maybe that is what’s behind the outer coil springs. The tubes must be pretty thin if they need additional stabilisation by the red rods. I would like to know something about the material and the ideas behind it.

I don’t like the colour setup but apart from that – I wouldn’t refuse if someone offered me a test ride.

Pandora

I think their is more to those front forks than we realise. They require serious analytical thinking as to their operation.
    I think the arrangement includes a pivoting bellcrank between the styrrup crown and the tyre, the bellcrank motion connects the coil springs to the leading link of the wheelaxle. My thought is they have designed a clever arrangement to make a variable spring rate , when the link is horizontal, the ride will be soft for small axle movements, as the axle link deviates from the horizontal ( large movements ) the spring rate will become progressively stiffer ” Rising rate suspension” . The effect is to make the ride soft and supple for smaller movements , yet stiffen in a progressive manner to accommodate larger movements. A soft ride without bottoming out of the suspension.

Pandora

The Dynavector frame, take a look at the butting of the tubes, is the frame metal of carbon-fibre? If carbon fibre, then perhaps those external string tubes are protective fenders, carbon fibre being damaged in a spill, lacking the “dentability” of steel.

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

Technically the springs may be highly sophisticated and offer a variable spring rate but they look like what I use to weigh any fish I catch.
    Alex

Pandora

The Dynavector may be a proving model, to test the new ideas and components, for production the parts may receive attention to styling concerns

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

I suppose they might be able to have shorter, thinner springs and hide them in a tube but that would result in 3 “tubes” at each side of the front end which I suspect would look over-complicated and messy.
    Of course they might come up with a more radical and better solution in due course assuming it is a “proving” model which “adds value” to the riding experience.

Keith Hales
    Participant

Shimano was originally a fishing tackle manufacturer!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.