Open Discussion Group

New to Moulton, New to the Club, Need advice!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello all.
    I thought I’d introduce myself and my bicycle to the Moulton World and ask the members for some advice.
    Originally a mountain biker, I’ve swapped my baggy shorts for Lycra and a flourescent jacket, and I have caught the Moulton bug. I’m new to Moultons, and I have decided to embark on restoring an example of the breed, to enjoy the process and hopefully learn some new skills and some basic cycle rebuilding knowledge.
    I thought a good place to start would be to restore a plain old Moulton ‘Standard’ into a machine for being a general runabout, light commuting, and some occasional touring. There are other examples I’d like to own, but this seemed as good a place as any to start.
    I came by a 1965 standard, in rough condition, and proceeded to strip it down to all it’s component parts to appraise what was needed and decide a course of action.
    I’m pleased to say that the parts that I understand are usually a pain to remove, (stem and rear fork/pivot) came away without a fight, thanks to help from a very good lubricant spray. I work in the technical department of my local Fire Brigade, and we use this quite uncommon spray to dismantle seized components, and it has never been known to fail.
    The frame is in good condition with no dents or twists, and will be shot blasted and powder coated.
    The serial number is 160401 and it says 65 on ‘t other side.
    One of the front fork stanchions was slightly bent, and I have straightened this and subjected the welds to NDT testing at work, which showed no cracks. The rear fork of this series one shows no signs of any cracks, and I have also NDT’d it, but it will be going off for strengthening as a precaution. The forks will also be shot blasted and powder coated. Mudguards and rack will be resprayed by me.
    I will be replacing the bottom bracket for a Shimano item, and putting on a new crank set and pedals. The rear wheel and it’s 4 speed hub are OK apart from the gear change linkage, which is missing, but the front wheel rim is rusted beyond salvage.
    Being a child of the 70’s I remember the feel of brake blocks on wet chrome, so I will be looking to purchase a new aluminium rimmed front wheel, and have the SA rear hub built into a new aluminium rim. The brake callipers are very rusted, so they will be replaced by modern components.
    I will also be replacing the seat post and adding a new seat, and handlebars will likely be changed to drop bars.
    Finally new tyres and inner tubes will be fitted, as the original were perished and it will need re-cabling and the front suspension servicing.
    The old parts will either be donated or kept as spares.
    I’d like to keep the costs down, so I’ll be looking for good second hand items if possible, hence one of my reasons for joining the club.

The above brings up a few questions, so I’d really like some help in how to proceed.
    1) Can anyone suggest a good alloy crankset and BB to go with the SA rear hub and sprocket?
    2) Is the SA 4 speed hub gear chain an easy fix?
    3) Can anyone suggest which rims and spokes I should use with my SA rear hub, and which front wheel to buy that will match?
    4) Are there any modern (Tektro?) brakes that will fit and work well front and rear? Perhaps I could find some better original brakes on Ebay as an alternative?

After this machine is done and all set up I think for my next buy I’d like a MK3 in original condition, or a good original series 2. Apart from that I’ll be scouring sheds garages and barns for a nice Speedsix! (dream on).

Stewart.

david james
    Participant

join the moulton f frame group on facebook, more answers on there than you can shake a stick at.you’ll get an answer to anything within minutes.

Des Gibbons
    Participant

What he said! Or the Moulton facebook page, i am admin for the F Frame group and just set it up a few weeks ago and its booming, i am currently building up a mk1 speed and spending a fortune building a new 8 speed mk2 Major, quite a few done the conversions already or in the middle of doing so, most using Brompton alloy rims or Sun rims.

Craig
    Participant

Come to the clubs meeting at BOA in Sept 2016…… you will come away with enough spares/parts , advice and new moultoneering friends to last a lifetime

CLIVE FENNER
    Participant

I would also like to know the answers to Stewart’s questions. I would have thought that after a week someone in the Moulton Club would be able to come up with some suggestions. Access to technical advice like this is one of the reasons I joined the Moulton Club.

david james
    Participant

hi
    there is someone who advertises in the moultoneer who can fix the chains for ten quid apparently.
    don’t try and fit a brompton built front wheel as the dimension overall the locknuts/cones is too big. rim should be ok if 28 holes otherwise you can get a 36 holer for about 36 quid (ouch).

that’s all i can answer as i am too mean to buy ally stuff!

Thanks for the info so far chaps, I am making progress with my ‘Standard’ and it’s a good learning experience. I now also have a stunning ‘Deluxe’ after a marathon 10 hour 600 mile round trip! (Via my old Golf GT TDI, not Moulton!) Cheers Clive! I wish I could have stopped to chat but I had a good drive ahead of me!

Ian
    Participant

2) Is the SA 4 speed hub gear chain an easy fix?
    New index rod and chain from https://colwoodwheelworks.co.uk/sturmey-archer/4-speed-hubs/

3) Can anyone suggest which rims and spokes I should use with my SA rear hub, and which front wheel to buy that will match?
    Build your own with ‘Brompton’ style alloy rims. 28h easily available, spokes (calculate the length you need) and get the 14g Stainless Plain from SJS

4) Are there any modern (Tektro?) brakes that will fit and work well front and rear? Perhaps I could find some better original brakes on Ebay as an alternative?
    Yes, you need to look for ‘long reach’ calipers.

Les Crook

Hi Ian, in term of rims and spokes I’m afraid I predictably went the brompton route but have had no issues with them at all.

Brakes I use are Alongha dual pivot on the front and a long drop dual pivot Dia Comp on the back. I feel that this is an essential upgrade if you live anywhere hilly. The first time I attended Bradford on Avon I had standard F frame brakes and nearly rear ended Ian coming down hill.

Les Crook

Stewart, welcome. It sounds like you are envisaging a similar outcome to that which I have achieved. If you wish to contact me directly please feel free. I can go through the specs I have used and can hopefully pre-empt issues for you.

Les (les.crook@btinternet.com)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.