Open Discussion Group

Replacement Series 1 Mudguards

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Revell
    Participant

As a Moulton ‘newbie’ I am just starting to rejuvenate a series 1 Deluxe. I am having difficulty sourcing some black chromoplastic mudguards. I have found some 17″ guards for the AM Speed: does anyone know if they would be suitable, or have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, John.

CLIVE FENNER
    Participant

I am also looking for some mudguards & have put an add in the wanted section. There is a Moulton on E bay at the moment (red with black forks) that has been restored & he has used Esge mudguards. I think these are American. I am trying to find out from him where & how he managed to get them. I will also be looking at Brompton mudguards, but of course would prefer the real thing. Let me know if you have any luck.

Ian
    Participant

Check out the 16″ mudguards used by Dahon, they might be useful.

http://tinyurl.com/obks8yu

Dave Minter

I used mudguards intended for a Pashley Micro for my Stowaway but the Micro was discontinued several years ago. I suspect that Pashley would have run out of stock by now.

david james
    Participant

have a look at mudguards on some cycle trailers, they look like 16 inch wheels and i would imagine you can buy the guards without buying the trailer! front one may need some modification, my local halfords had some in stock but i wouldn’t buy from them arm and leg springs to mind! ebay is the place to look

Pandora

Look at some of the childrens bikes in Decathlon and place an order for a set as a spare part, the mudguard sets are very cheap, under £10, the front guards are usually on the short side so it it an idea to buy two sets and cut down one of the rear guards to make a front guard.

Des Gibbons
    Participant

Or if ya feeling handy, I have seen people make mudguards from PVC pipe cut to size and shape and moulded over a tyre with a heatgun then the original fittings bonded to the plastic this way you can make them whatever length you want, from what I remember they basically had a tyre inflated on a wheel then taped clear tubing across the width of the wheel, tubing is what they use for fishtanks etc that is clear, they then bought black pvc plumbers pipe from the DIY shop, cut it to length and and halved it lengthways trimming more if needed, then dunking it in a bucket of hot water, then basically forming it over the wheel, when happy with the shape using a heatgun if needed, they then bonded the fittings to it underneath then they had a custom mudguard for cheap to their specs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.