Open Discussion Group

Up dating an AM7

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lawrence

How easy is it to convert an originaal AM7 to a newer drive train? I’m still wanting to do a ride acros Europe on mine but knoww that I’ll efectively be sacrificing what could be it’s original transmision.

Any options that aren’t too expensive to replace the old 7 speed, which I would keep?

Cheers,

LG.

Lawrence

My 7 has a 52t chainwheel, (original?). with the 9-28 rear it gives a range of something like 30-90.

Would it be possible to fit a more modern 13-34t rear cluster? Sure, I’d lose a lot of “top end”, (down to 65), but I’m not too fussed about that. I’d gain at the low end, down to 25. For a tour I’d be happy with that.

Would the original mech be able to cope? The derrailleur capacity for the 9-28 is given as 19, while for 13-34 it is 21.

Anyone any thougts? Most of what I can find on-line is aimed at off roaders and more modern bikes.

Just considering options.

Cheers, LG.

Gavin Clark
    Participant

Hi Lawrence

I haven’t changed an AM7 drivetrain myself, but this is some info I got from the Moulton Yahoo group:

1. The short cage rear mech should clear a 34t sprocket
    2. The two smallest sprockets of the freewheel or cassette must not be larger than 11 and 12 teeth, to ensure that the chain just clears the chain stay when changing between them. For this reason 10 and 11 are preferable and 9 and 10 best of all.

That unfortunately means that a freewheel with a 13t smallest sprocket would foul the chainstay, and I’m pretty sure that there are no screw-on freewheels with 11 and 12 tooth smallest sprockets. So unless you stick with your Moulton freewheel, I think you’ll need to get a new rear wheel built around a cassette hwub and use a cassette with 11 and 12 tooth sprockets (or go the whole hog and get a Shimano Capreo hub and cassette).

Hope that helps

Gavin

Lawrence

Cheers for that useful info Gavin. I think that the opportunity to take my 7 has past now so it looks like I’ll be doing my tour on my faithful old tourer.

Maybe I’ll be touring on a Moulton next year.

Thanks again,

LG.

Chris Wright
    Participant

I also have an AM7 and I’m always looking ahead to the point when I’ll need to replace things. From discussions with other members and online, my current best solution is a Capreo hub as they are designed for smaller-wheeled bikes and have a cassette with a 9-tooth sprocket. More informed people have told me that instead of buying a standard Capreo hub, I should look at this Bike Friday lightweight version which is apparently better built:

Peaches Watkins
    Participant

Hey friends!

I’m trying to use this lovely AM7 my dad passed on to me. It has the original Regina freewheel in good shape. I need to replace the chain and cassette soon though. That means I need help about what to do about the cassette.

The Capreo cassette – nevermind the work of building out a new wheel around the Capreo freehub standard. That costs around $139.00 on BF, but it’s not a consumable I will need to replace regularly so I can handle the price.- is only NOS-available. Uh oh! The pricing is crazy high. It’s $161.00 on BF, and $100 is the cheapest I can find online for an ICE(?) version of it. Yikes!

So, what other options are out there to replace this freewheel when it wears out? I did a bunch of searching online, even for a 10t option, but I can’t find any freewheels that might be the right fit for this situation.

So basically, it’s the same question as the OP, just would love an answer to this zombie thread!

Thanks!

Ian Anderson

The problem is Shimano discontinued Capreo. BF make a Capreo compatible hub but as far as I know nobody is making replacement Capreo cassettes, except pricy custom ones, hence the high prices you’ve found for the few that remain in stock. I don’t know about Regina hubs or freewheels but Hilarystone.com have got a lightly used seven speed Regina freewheel for £30 so hunting for a second hand one might eb the best bet. Could also try contacting Moulton direct, they might have a supply or know of a compatible 7 speed freewheel/cassette.

I found Capreo compatible Cogs at the “recumbent trike store” it was about $91.50 US.

The difficult part is a front derailleur mount.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.