Open Discussion Group

Banned from cycling clubs?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carl Folker

I ride a TSR 30 and have ridden it anywhere between 30 miles and 140 (on a day trip to Scarborough). I usually cycle with the Peterborough Cycling Club but today I was a bit shocked when I was told than I was no longer welcome to ride as my bike was not normal, that it responded differently and that it was no good up hills! I did inform the coach of the club that this was ignorance on his part and that perhaps he should get himself enlightened but it seems that he’s not too interested.

Anyone else here had problems with cycle clubs and their Moultons?

Ian
    Participant

I know what I would do, as I see no reason to be polite to ignorant bigots – but perhaps it is best not repeated here!

Can they really stop you going for a ride to the same destination on public roads? Can’t you just carry on?

RoyB
    Participant

I think the last couple of lines of your post say it all.
    As a member of a cycling club, and a ride leader for them, I have no problem with any bike as long as it’s safe. I’ve seen straight bars, converted cranks for amputees, Airnimals, as well as “racing” bikes. And once my Mk3 is back together, I will lead some rides on that, and have a go at some club 10s on it.
    Time to find a different club maybe?

Peter Herron
    Participant

I ride with Peterborough CTC and any bike is welcome there. I did the Club 100 mile ride on Saturday on my TSR30. We’re not super fast but we enjoy ourselves.

Perhaps Peterborough Cycling Club are are influenced by the UCI?!

admin
    Keymaster

As others have suggested, it is probably just the wrong club!

Moultons are sometimes slower going uphill and faster downhill and this can certainly disrupt the rhythm of a well disciplined group of well matched abilities.

However, many groups are not that organised and don’t take themselves very seriously. In such a group, the difference in rider abilities and riding styles more than compensates for the differences in the bikes.

Pandora

Check the club constitution if they have the grounds to bar you.
    Does the club receive money in the form of official grants etc? If so perhaps an enquiry to the donors may bring about a change in attitude

Carl Folker

Thanks for the replies. The rules are very general and suggest any bike as long as it’s well maintained (Peter Heron above has seen my bike and would probably agree that it’s well maintained). Some time back the Vice Captain crashed his bike behind me. He didn’t make contact and I had to brake to avoid crashing into the group (a very tight group which the Vice Captain had pushed together). His dislike of the bike seems to stem from that and he blames me for him falling off. Regardless, the Coach told me it’s not going to be allowed on the grounds that it moves differently and the (I think) ex Captain told me it wouldn’t be allowed on any ride. Asking the Coach if he knew anything of the history of the bike, he said he did but didn’t want to tell me anything, which is why I suggested ignorance, at which point he said he wasn’t going to discuss it and walked away. Happy not to ride with the club as it seems some are not too sharp or have some other agenda – but being told I can ride if I get a ‘normal’ bike is rather telling!

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

Perhaps if the Vice Captain crashed his bike into yours he should do the decent thing and consider his position.
    If everyone who crashed or fell off was asked to resign from a cycling club there wouldn’t be anyone left.
    Given the state of the roads cycling in a tight group is dangerous. If the person if front doesn’t see a pothole then several can fall into it.
    I suggest finding another Club with a higher average IQ.
    Alex

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

I’d never join a club that would have me as a member.
    Alex

afriendsfriend
    Participant

touché!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.