Open Discussion Group

Moulton SST-22

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Johnston
    Participant

I am considering adding a SST-22 to my stable.
    Has anyone tried the SST-22? This bike is an upgraded TSR which must mean that it is a good bike to ride as well as look at.
    Apparently the choice of group set can be either Shimano 150 or Campagnolo Potenza. I understand that both group sets are compatible with the new Moulton 10-32t cassette.
    Have members any views or comments on the relative merits of both these group sets?
    I know the Shimano receives excellent reports.
    Also has anyone any views on the advantages of the Moulton Wishbone Stem? I appreciate that it looks good and, being a Moulton product, it is probably well made. It features as a standard component on the more expensive models.
    But does it offer any technical advantages such as improved ride quality or control?
    If it doesn’t I’m not sure what advantages it does offer over and above a traditional stem, apart from looks.
    Thanks

fastbike
    Participant

swhat advantages it does offer over and above a traditional stem, apart from looks.

Adjustability – from an upright riding position to a lower more stretched out position. It’s a nicely made piece of kit.

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

By all accounts the Campy Potenza is the better looking group set and possibly a grade above the 105. It’s also more “silvery and traditional” which looks good on a Moulton.
    I take the point about adjustability of the Wishbone. It’s also useful for attaching things like a bell or computer. Instead of the SST which I expect would ride like my TSR I’m going for the Jubilee.

fastbike
    Participant

Instead of the SST which I expect would ride like my TSR I’m going for the Jubilee.

You won’t be disappointed. I was looking at a TSR to replace a 20 year old APB, but decided to stump up for a Jubilee. 3 months later my wife replaced her APB with a Jubilee 🙂

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

Fastbike -did your Premium Bond number come up?
    What do you particularly like about the Jubilee? What colours and group set?
    Do you have the 10-32 Moulton cassette?

fastbike
    Participant

Both are Alfine 11 – setup for riding the hills around our home as well as being practical enough to use as a daily rider. The colour is Ferrari Red for both, a bit of a complicated story as to why I ended up with a red bike LOL.

I like the bike as it is reasonably light, very stiff yet comfortable, and loads of fun to ride.

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

I’ve gone for the New Blue. Programmed for June but more likely July.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.