Open Discussion Group

NS DOUBLE PYLON ON EBAY-BEWARE !

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Please watch out on ebay as this moulton NS is very dodgy and has been seen many times for sale in various places…all the clues are there, please study, but do not be tempted!
    ken

just in case you want a masterclass in fake listings then there is no finer example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moulton-New-Series-Double-Pylon-/200720217875?pt=UK_B_I_Business_for_Sale_CV&hash=item2ebbdb7713

purely from my amateur knowledge on the subject!

clue number 1
    the seller has 0 feedback!
    Lerwick is very popular with expensive NS owners,
    but it is over 100 miles North of Scotland…therefore a touch inaccesible?
    the photo is seen all over the net’
    the pasted spec is also very familiar ?
    same pic and spec on craigslist and other classifieds at £6000.
    the NS is too cheap!!!!
    see how many more clues you can find….ken

Ian
    Participant

It’s also advertised as a business for sale.

I think that if people are so stupid as to actually click BiN for that they deserve to loose their money.

I’ve reported it to ebay, also reported 4 of the Craigslist posts (the APB looks kosher). Its a bit like whack-a-mole.

Well done Keith, the listing has been removed by ebay at last…..just in case anyone thought that these scams are too easy to spot….I know for a fact that two moulton bidders on ebay have been taken in and lost their money!…Not me as I am far too cynical !
    ken

Ian
    Participant

A fool and their money are soon parted, Kenneth. And that includes anyone who is willing to stump up large sums for anything on ebay, sight unseen, from sellers with little or no feedback, for items that are ‘too good to be true’.

Quite true Ian, But there is always the desperation factor?
    Not many will have seen this?..but last week on ebay there was a BIN listing for a Moulton esprit at the bargain price of £800……fingers trembling on the keyboard for some lucky winner ?

ken

Craigslist London has removed the New Series Double Pylon bicycle @ £6000, but 3 other Jan/Feb entries remain, – 2 are the old chestnut scams: New Series 531 Kasai Dura Ace – £1800 (Euston); A pair of Ladies and Gents Moulton Bicycles – £1000.
    The 3rd is an AM Jubilee L – £1600, which on reflection may be OK? (though the spiel echos the NS advert.) Anyone know?
    I can then report the scams individually which may have more effect.

Ian
    Participant

I did see that Esprit (after it had sold) but I have a niggling feeling that I had seen that picture before.

And Sunderland is too far from me to send £800 (plus a rather vague cost of ‘Courier’ for postage) for a bike that could be a bit less of a ‘bargain’ than it appeared. If I had seen it in time and lived nearby I would have BiNed it and gone to collect with cash in hand!

That it was posted so late at night with just one photograph (and an odd background) is not entirely reassuring either.

Alexander Johnston
    Participant

These alerts are useful and taking the trouble to report them is very public spirited.
    As an aside, I’m always surprised and a bit depressed when I read about people taken in by telephone investment scams. Many have lost large sums of money and include the most unlikely of victims such as accountants, lawyers, civil servants etc. It just shows that we are all potentially vulnerable.
    Sometimes we receive several dubious telephone calls a week. I simply say, “thank you, not interested” and put down the telephone.
    Alex

I remember seeing a Sunderland bike but didn’t realise it was an Esprit – otherwise I’d have my sister pop round to check it out. Ian, was the clue in the photo or (more obviously) the description?

Ian
    Participant

No idea what is really was Keith, but the title of the sale was ‘moulton esprite ,folding bike.’

http://tinyurl.com/88cozk8

NS Double Pylon has re-appeared on Craigslist London, price £4000. I’ve filed a report for that one today as I can link to this thread for backup (btw I think the other Craigslist Moultons listed, apart from 25th Jan entry, are also scams). Keith

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.