Open Discussion Group

APB Landrover Servicing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi there all – I will apologise in advance if there is already information about my question somewhere on the site. If somebody could kindly point me towards it that would be great. (i have had a look but didn’t see anything that seems to cover it)

I have an APB landrover with the dual drive that is my first Moulton and obtained just a few weeks ago. Bike is in lovely condition but is obviously a few years old so i have given it a general service and lubrication for all the familiar bits of the bike. I was wondering about what if any servicing is required for the front and rear suspension, particularly with regards to any regular cleaning and lubrication.

The suspension seems to be working fine i just want to ensure it stays that way 🙂

cheers for any pointers
    Michael

Michael
    Participant

Answering my own post, i did find the APB suspension pages in the Resources section. One thing i didn’t quite get form that, is for the rear suspension pivot, for a ‘standard’ service, what grease should i use?

david james
    Participant

i’ve used lithium grease on the phosphor bronze bushes, they are supposedly oil impregnated for life i think grease will prolong it! the bolt inside the steel sleeve need’s grease or it can rust up making it hard to remove, i’ve just done that job.

david james
    Participant

i believe the front are “sealed for life” with some special bushes that should not be lubed

Michael
    Participant

thanks David for your information and experience

I took out the rear suspension pivot bolt without any problem so thankfully it isn’t corroded into place. I was unable to push the sleeve out of the bushes and it didn’t move with a very light tap or two. Is that normal?
    Assuming it is supposed to be a tight fit like that, I was wondering about using an improvised puller to get it out for cleaning etc (using some suitable threaded bar). Does that sound like the right kind of approach?

david james
    Participant

the sleeve should come out, that’s the bit that moves, otherwise the bolt will move in the sleeve and wear more than the bushes will.it would seem the sleeve is seized in the bush.i would say use some kind of anti seize compound like wd40 and leave for a few days and try again.the threaded bar approach that you mention may well shift it.i bought a steel sleeve on ebay and drilled it out for a 10mm bolt, seems to work fine.the standard kit for the rear pivot is about 80 pounds which i thought was a little too much!let me know how you get on

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.